Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The week after the trial

August 5, 2009 Thursday
Friday, when the trial ended and the jury was sent out to deliberate, Mom and I left to drive back to Green River. It was nice to be home for the weekend to celebrate Kayli's 21st birthday and to get the annual family picture taken. During this time I began preparations for the Miss Wyoming pageant. For those of you who haven't heard, my sisters and I have been asked to participate in the pageant this year. My Mom was excited to have all of us spend a weekend together and to do something she never got to do. The program is excited about having 3 sisters compete together for the first time. Kayli has been ecstatic about getting outfits together. So when I got home I had to have my hair dyed a lighter blond color, which is something I have never had done before. I guess the preparations for the pageant have really begun.

The rest of the weekend consisted of horseback riding with Dad, babysitting, going to garage sales for furniture for Kayli, going to church, and a cleaning of several closets and collecting items we no longer need so we can have a garage sale of our own. We may just donate it all too, not really sure yet.

On Monday, August 6, 2009, Mom, Dad, Adar and I prepared to go to Riverton for Roni's sister's wedding. We were running some errands when I got a call from Roni to let me know that while working a drowning case, Ed had collapsed. Luckily, he was right beside the ambulance and crew, and they immediately rushed him to the hospital. I was really worried about him but there wasn't much we could do as we had things that had to be done before we could leave for Riverton. Eventually, we did get out of town, all of us loaded in Dad's truck and pulling the camper behind. When we had just passed the Sweetwater Station rest area but not yet to South Pass, about the exact middle of our trip, the truck began to have transmission or clutch problems and we had to roll the truck and camper off the highway into the grass.

Talk about horrible luck - only one cell phone had service (Dad's union cell) and with that we were able to call my Grandpa who lives in Pavillion, Wyoming. Pavillion is located between Riverton and Lander. Grandpa drove the hour out to pick us up and to two the truck into Lander where they should be fixing it. Then he drove us to Riverton to get my car that was at Ed and Roni's while my Dad waited for my Grandpa's friend, Speed, to drive out with his bigger truck and hook onto our camper and bring it to the ranch. My mom, Adar, Grandpa and I drove to the hospital to visit Ed, who looked alright except for a bruise on his head and all the wires he was connected to. In fact, Ed looked rather content sitting in bed watching Mash :) Then we drove to the prenuptial sweat to see Roni and everyone who was going to be involved with the wedding tomorrow, and to give them the juice we had promised to bring. While we were unable to participate in the sweat as planned because of the truck breaking down, it did give Mom and Adar an idea of what a sweat lodge looks like. I was really bummed they wouldn't get to experience it the sweat though. We grabbed dinner and drove to my grandparents' house for the night.

The next day, Tuesday, August 7th, we drove to Dubois and spent 3 hours getting together a gift for the wedding. We had left the other one at the house, another sign of the bad luck we were having. Then we drove to Ed and Roni's cabin where we met the happy couple and I was asked to take the wedding pictures. The ceremony was done by Willie (the Shoshoni elder we sweat with, who was in his buckskins and feathers. It was an experience getting used to taking all the pictures for Bonnie and James. Ed was going to do it and when he couldn't, he suggested they ask me! I will try to get some of those so I can show you how beautiful it was as well as how good my pictures were :)

We spent the afternoon at the cabin having a meal, and started a campfire, and played worst scenario. We went to bed in Roni's sister's tent which was absolutely huge!

Morning found all of us very early so that we could get Adar back to Green River to work. I drove back to the office, got dressed for the day, and when I found the keys I ran to the house and checked on Ed. He was find so I drove over to help Erin with documenting items located in an apartment of a man who just passed away who did not have any next of kin. The office has had a lot of cases lately and Mark is exhausted from running to each one. He hasn't gotten much sleep because they all seem to be happening late at night or early in the morning. As of this writing, the drowning victim still hasn't been recovered and we have one deputy coroner sitting in the IC (Incident Command) vehicle waiting for the body to be found. He will call us when it is located so we can transport it back to Lander.

No comments:

Post a Comment